Strength & Conditioning Intern
Milford, OH, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
Job Title: Strength & Conditioning Intern
Reports to: Director of Sports Performance / Strength & Conditioning Coach
Department: Sports Performance
This internship provides the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience working in a professional soccer organization. The strength and conditioning internship position will assist staff supporting FCC and FCC2 players. This position will be based out of the Mercy Health Training Center in Milford, Ohio. The duration of the internship is February/March – end of May. The schedule is M-F with the possibility of weekend sessions, working an average of 20-25 hours a week. This is an hourly paid position.
What You’ll Do:
- Assist both the Strength & Conditioning and Physical Development Coach to deliver strength and conditioning support to FCC and FCC2 players
- Assist Physical Development Coach with FCC2 athlete preparation, end-stage rehabilitation, and injury prevention in close communication with management, coaching and medical staff
- Upskill in strength and power assessment technologies to provide strength and conditioning assessments for soccer players. Work with staff to perform a needs analysis of each player to identify individual strengths and weakness and drive appropriate individual development programs
- Support the strength & conditioning strategies of FCC and FCC2 players in accordance with scientific training principles
- Support the delivery of gym and field-based strength and conditioning support programs to players
- Support the Strength & Conditioning Coach in the delivery of pre-training activation sessions and lead on the delivery of activation sessions to FCC2 players
- Utilize technologies to collect, analyze and feedback gym-based player progress
- Support staff with equipment set-up and clearance for team-based and individual sessions
- Support appropriate MLS NEXT Pro on-field training programs including power, speed, change of direction and aerobic fitness to prepare players for the demands of training and match-play
- Maintain the cleanliness of gym on a daily basis
What You’ll Bring:
- Willingness to learn and receive feedback
- Creative, dynamic, and enthusiastic personality
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to demonstrate appropriately with a motivational coaching style
- Ability to communicate information in a manner that is easily understood by a range of audiences
- Ability to collaborate successfully as part of a Multi-Disciplinary Team to solve performance problems
What You’ll Need:
- Enrolled in an Exercise Science undergraduate program
- Experience maintaining databases and working with athlete monitoring systems
- Knowledge of sports science, strength and conditioning science, sports nutrition, and sports medicine
- Proficient in the use of common sports science technological equipment and software
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide verification of vaccination prior to start date
What we offer interns:
- FCC welcome gifts
- Resume and profile reviews
- Tour of TQL Stadium and MHTC
- Discount off team store merchandise
- Community volunteer opportunities
- Job shadow opportunities
- Paid hourly and/or college credit opportunities
About FC Cincinnati
FC Cincinnati is a Major League Soccer team playing at TQL Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio. Originally founded in 2015 by Carl H. Lindner III and co-CEO Jeff Berding, FCC started play in the United Soccer League (USL) in 2016. FCC entered MLS as the 24th team in 2019. The club’s wide and diverse ownership group is led by controlling owner Lindner III; as well as managing owners Meg Whitman and Dr. Griff Harsh; Scott Farmer; and George Joseph.
FC Cincinnati opened the club’s privately funded, 26,000-seat soccer-specific TQL Stadium in the West End neighborhood of Cincinnati in 2021, a venue which has won numerous global awards including the World Football Summit Best Venue 2022 in Madrid and the 2022 Prix Versailles World Title in the Sports Category in Paris, France.
FC Cincinnati won the 2023 Supporters’ Shield – the annual award given to the team with the most points in the regular season – and clinched a spot in the 2023 MLS Playoffs for the second straight year. The club won the 2018 USL Regular-Season Championship in record-setting fashion and earned postseason berths in all three of its USL seasons. In 2017, FC Cincinnati also advanced to the semifinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, a run that included victories over two MLS squads.
About Mercy Health Training Center
In 2019, the club opened the state-of-the-art Mercy Health Training Center (MHTC) in Milford, Ohio. Designed by MSA Sport, the $30 million, 24-acre facility includes three full-size, lighted soccer fields – including two stabilized natural grass surfaces and one synthetic turf surface – as well as a goalkeeper-specific training area. The MLS team is housed in a 30,000 sq. ft., multilevel building abutting the fields, including a separate, 4,000 sq. ft. wing of the building for the FC Cincinnati Academy.
Additionally, there is a 3,000 sq. ft. maintenance facility on the property. In the design process, the MSA Sport design team benchmarked training grounds across the world, including the best in Europe, South America, and Asia. The goal of the design meets the original goal to develop one of the premier and most progressive team facilities in Major League Soccer and North America.
FC Cincinnati is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.