Strategic Human Resources Inc
Career Opportunity: Controller with Cincinnati Opera
The Cincinnati Opera is seeking a full-time Controller. The Controller will be responsible for all aspects of maintaining the accounting function of the company. The Controller reports to the Chief Financial Officer and works in conjunction with all other staff as necessary to generate and disseminate financial information. The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator and problem-solver, with an exceptional track record of sound and accurate financial management.
Roles and Responsibilities
Responsibilities of the Controller will include, but not be limited to:
- Oversight of Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable
- General ledger posting, closing, and related reporting
- Invoicing and oversight of timely collections
- Assist in payroll processing
- Reconciliation and adjustments to accounts on a timely basis
- Implement and enhance accounting systems and procedures that will improve efficiencies and internal controls. Work with senior managers to ensure the integrity of these procedures.
- Develop and maintain a list of internal controls and best practices for the accounting function.
- Liaise with financial services providers and tax advisors.
- Prepare quarterly financial statements for distribution to the Board of Trustees.
- Assist with the preparation of annual operating budgets.
- Assist with year-end (both fiscal and calendar) reporting requirements, including annual audits and tax information.
- Work with all staff members to ensure transactions are recorded in conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Other duties as assigned
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, and use hands. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The employee may need to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee must be able to work evenings, weekends, and travel locally.
- The position requires work in an office setting.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university in business, accounting, finance, economics, or another relevant field
- Three or more years or relevant professional experience, including oversight of accounting or finance operations
- High proficiency in the use of Excel and QuickBooks, with the ability to quickly learn new software and applications.
- An optimistic and solution-oriented temperament
- Excellent verbal, written, and listening skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, especially during the company’s summer season
- MBA or CPA
- Professional experience with non-profit financial management and/or performing arts organizations
- Experience with Tessitura and Concur software packages
This is a full-time exempt position with a salary range of $75,000-$90,000 commensurate with experience. Cincinnati Opera offers an extensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, parking, and 403(b) with a portion matched by the company.
About Cincinnati Opera
Founded in 1920, Cincinnati Opera is one of the oldest and most highly regarded opera companies in the United States. Known for its longstanding partnership with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, a roster of world-class singers, and its spectacular performance venue, Cincinnati Music Hall, Cincinnati Opera has received numerous accolades and awards, including a recent nomination for the prestigious International Opera Award. Cincinnati Opera offers a primary season of performances from June through August (paid attendance 17,000-20,000), plus a host of events through the year, including educational programming, small-scale public performances, recitals, and fundraisers.
How to Apply
Cincinnati Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to promoting the growth of a diverse and inclusive workplace. #ZR