At U.S. Bank, we’re on a journey to do our best. Helping the customers and businesses we serve to make better and smarter financial decisions and enabling the communities we support to grow and succeed. We believe it takes all of us to bring our shared ambition to life, and each person is unique in their potential. A career with U.S. Bank gives you a wide, ever-growing range of opportunities to discover what makes you thrive at every stage of your career. Try new things, learn new skills and discover what you excel at—all from Day One.
Be a part of transformational change where integrity matters, success inspires and great teams collaborate and innovate. As the fifth-largest bank in the United States, we’re one of the country's most respected, innovative, ethical and successful financial institutions. We’re looking for people who want more than just a job – they want to make a difference! U.S. Bank is seeking a Principal Engineer who will contribute toward the success of our technology initiatives in our digital transformation journey. This position will support our Branch Technology capabilities. Working with multiple product teams to create a seamless, reliable, and intuitive applications that our bankers use to service customers every day.
- Provides high-level architectural guidance and assists the team in aligning architecture to business requirements. Works across the organization to foster a culture of applying applicable and relevant design patterns.
- Works across the organization to foster a culture of architecture that allows for iterative, autonomous development and future scaling. Guides teams in the organization in anticipation of future use cases and helps them make design decisions that minimize the cost of future changes.
- Establishes engineering strategic objectives that drive architecture and technical approach.
- Coaches the engineering organization on a debugging mindset with a view of using the appropriate tools for specific needs. Leads incident response across the engineering organization as needed. Uses systematic debugging to diagnose issues across the organization. Selects and procures tools and establishes processes to support the team in effective troubleshooting.
- Drives and sets the culture of quality and timely code reviews across the organization while encouraging teams to consider release complications. Provides guidance on reviews conducted by others. Champions the engineering organization with an ability to understand and deliver to real user needs.
- Drives the organizational testing strategy and uses quality metrics to identify gaps. Works with all teams to recommend solutions that are in accordance with accepted testing frameworks. Guides the teams on following standards and aims for best practice across the organization.
- Works to keep skills up-to-date to aid in decision making, coaching and facilitation. Has basic knowledge in a wide variety of technologies and skill-sets with deep expertise in a few specific areas.
- Takes ownership of decisions made in the engineering organization by helping teams make clear decisions in alignment with enterprise goals, backing decisions made, and taking responsibility for their success. Ensures accountability is practiced throughout the organization.
- Ensures expectations across the organization and external stakeholders are clarified between all parties involved. Identifies dependencies across the organization and works with individual teams to resolve them before they become an issue and installs preventative measures to mitigate repeat occurrences.
- Works across the organization to foster a culture of priority setting and urgency in alignment with organizational strategy. Coaches the team on making trade-offs, prioritization and managing technical debt. Identifies and manages technical and business risk.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent work experience
- Eight or more years of relevant experience
- Thorough understanding of several team's domains and how they contribute to the overall business strategy and alignment to the technical strategy
- Possesses expertise in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices in an agile environment
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication, presentation, and leadership skills
- Proven collaboration and influencing skills
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate a disability during any portion of the application or hiring process, please refer to our disability accommodations for applicants.
Learn how the way we work at U.S. Bank drives meaningful relationships with our customers and collaboration across the company.
Our approach to benefits and total rewards considers our team members’ whole selves and what may be needed to thrive in and outside work. That's why our benefits are designed to help you and your family boost your health, protect your financial security and give you peace of mind. Our benefits include the following (some may vary based on role, location or hours):
Healthcare (medical, dental, vision)
Basic term and optional term life insurance
Short-term and long-term disability
Pregnancy disability and parental leave
401(k) and employer-funded retirement plan
Paid vacation (from two to five weeks depending on salary grade and tenure)
Up to 11 paid holiday opportunities
Sick and Safe Leave accruals of one hour for every 30 worked, up to 80 hours per calendar year unless otherwise provided by law
EEO is the Law
U.S. Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, among other factors. Applicants can learn more about the company’s status as an equal opportunity employer by viewing the federal KNOW YOUR RIGHTS EEO poster.
U.S. Bank participates in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security E-Verify program in all facilities located in the United States and certain U.S. territories. The E-Verify program is an Internet-based employment eligibility verification system operated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Learn more about the E-Verify program.The salary range reflects figures based on the primary location, which is listed first. The actual range for the role may differ based on the location of the role. In addition to salary, US Bank offers a comprehensive benefits package, including incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase 401k contribution and pension (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). Pay Range: $140,930.00 - $165,800.00 - $182,380.00